Chandertaal (literally means Moon Lake) is situated at an altitude of 4300 meters in Lahaul Valley in Himachal Pradesh. It is around 12 km from Kunzum pass and can be accessed only during the months of May-September and remains cut off the rest of the time. The lake has a circumference of 2.5 km and is the source of Chandra river. It’s crystal clear blue water will leave you awestruck as you gaze upon the reflections of the surrounding snow-capped Himalayan peaks. Camping besides the lake on the grass mottled shores is an experience of a lifetime.
Why you will love it
Experience the awe-inspiring beauty of the Chandrataal lake, we assure you would be left speechless. 2 night camp besides the Lake under the starry skies. Drive through the snow clad Rohtang Pass with a view of both Kullu and Lahual-Spiti Valleys. Drive up to the snow clad Kunzum Pass and be astounded at the sheer grandeur of the Himalayas Trek from the Kunzum Pass to the Chandrataal lake and experience a once in a lifetime adrenalin rush Get to experience the out-of-the-world landscapes of Lahaul Valley as we drive through it. Something you may not have seen anything like before.
At a glance
- Duration: 3 Nights/ 4 Days
- Starting point: Manali, Himachal Pradesh
- Trail: Starting altitude of 4,550 meters at Kunzum pass and rocky terrain to the lake with stream crossings
- Terrain: Meadows and mixed forest of Cedar, Walnut, Chestnut and Maple
- Average walking per day: 4 to 7 hours
We start our drive from Manali to Chatru in the morning after breakfast, crossing over Rohtang Pass(3978 m). This pass is a natural divide between the Kullu Valley and Lahaul valleys and provides beautiful views of the same. From Rohtang pass we descend to Chhatru and camp there for the night.
Altitude: 3,360 m
Distance: 85 km
The second day we drive to Kunzum Pass, the trek starts from here. It is mostly a downhill trek from Kunzum where you can experience the spectacular views of the Chandrabhaga range. The trek takes around 4 -5 hours ending at the Chandrataal (4300m), where we make an overnight camp.
Altitude at Kunzum Pass: 4,550 m
The third day would be spent exploring the picturesque Chandrataal Lake, perfect for clicking photographs. The beauty and the serenity of the place can’t be described in words, you have to experience it for yourself.
The last leg of the trip, after an early breakfast, we drive back to Manali which takes around 6-8 hours.
Your trip ends in Manali
Getting to Manali and Back
From Delhi, the best way is to take an overnight Volvo to Manali.
Himachal Tourism runs overnight buses which start from Mandi House in Delhi at around 6:00 PM every evening and reach Manali by 7:30 – 8:00 AM.
You can book these online, on the Himachal Roadways website. Additionally, there are a number of private operators who run Volvo buses to Manali. These buses can be booked online on redbus. Starting points in Delhi differ. Some start from Firoz Shah Kotla stadium, while others from Majnu Ka Tila, while still others start from Rama Krishna Ashram Marg metro station. Some reliable operators we have booked with are Swagatam Holidays, Manali Mail and Chamunda. Alternately, you can take a flight from Delhi to bhuntar airport and from there a taxi to Manali. Do check the flight schedule beforehand as there is always a possibility of flight cancellation due to bad weather and/ or less number of seats booked.
How to plan this trip
The best bet is to reach 1 day before the departure date and spend the night in Manali. This will not only acclimatize you but also ensure that you’re not rushed on the day of departure. On the way back, if the weather conditions are good, we will arrive in Manali by afternoon and there will be plenty of time to board the evening Volvo back to Delhi. Our team will book your tickets while you’re getting back to Manali. If weather conditions delay your arrival in Manali, then you will need to spend the night in Manali and leave for Delhi the next day. Please keep this in mind while planning the trip.
INR 13,200/- per person
Be prepared for
- 4-6 hours of trekking each day (easy to moderate)
- Days are expected to be pleasant with bright sunshine, however, nights will be cold. There are chances of rain in this area, so be adequately prepared (Rain suit, poncho)
- Unexpected weather conditions and patterns. In case of any unexpected weather, we might need to turn back
- In case of landslides or unexpected circumstances, there may be a change in the itinerary and a consequent rise in costs (this will be on actual)
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver
- Easy grade trek, no prior experience required. That said, you need to have basic fitness levels to walk at the altitudes and for the durations mentioned