Carve fresh lines on every single run. Powder skiing in Gulmarg, like never before!
I’m looking for back country/ off piste skiing action in Gulmarg. Do you have any information and can you organize the trip for me?
Read on to find out more about this absolutely spectacular skiing destination.
About the Gulmarg Ski Area
The following picture shows the Gulmarg ski area
- The area in the orange dashed line is the Ski resort boundary, is avalanche controlled and is patrolled by the Ski patrol.
- The red line is the Gondola which goes right up to the top of Aphrawat mountain. From here you can skin up to the summit and ski down from there, or ski down from the Gondola top.
- Skin left/ right side along the ridge and ski in any of the bowls on either side. Some of the further bowls may be out of bounds, but you’ll still find enough and more powder during your stay and you’ll be able to make fresh lines on every descent.
- Several areas behind the Aphrawat range like Shark’s fin offer extreme powder skiing action
- From some bowls you can traverse back to mid-station of the Gondola. From others you will reach far away villages like Drang from where we’ll get a taxi to bring you back to Gulmarg (Drang is accessed from the 5th bowl on the left while facing the top – skier’s right)
- For all backcountry skiing, you must have a shovel, beeper, probe, a guide and a group of 2-3 people at least. We absolutely do not recommend going outside the resort boundary without a guide and safety equipment.
- When the Gondola is closed, you can skin up to Monkey Hill which is in Gulmarg village and ski down through the forest trail. Or you can ski down into the valley till Tanmarg.
At a Glance
- Best time: 10th January till 15th March
- Equipment: Powder/ all mountain skis, avalanche safety equipment for all backcountry runs. We provide equipment for rent if needed.
- Terrain: Mountains full of black diamond and double black diamond runs. You just won’t run out of powder to carve fresh lines every day!
We run backcountry skiing as a customized trip, get in touch with us below!