Lightning trail to Bijli Mahadev
15th to 17th April, 2016
At a glance
Duration: 2 nights/ 3 days
Tour: Manali – Naggar – Bijli Mahadev – Matikocher – Kais – Manali
Getting there: Overnight Volvo to Manali and back
Difficulty levelEasy to Moderate (good fitness required)
Be prepared for: Good climbs and exhilarating downhills – Non technical single tracks and jeep roads
Bike suitabilityHardtail MTBs
What is this all about?
Himachal Pradesh, the land of Gods is as renowned for its beauty and mysticism as for its rich history and artistic associations. This GoMissing Mountain Biking Adventure Trip combines rare sights that you will not find in a typical itinerary.
We begin the tour in lovely Naggar, a town perched atop a hill. This 16th century capital of Kullu has gems that testify to its glorious past.
It houses the Naggar Castle, a stone and wood structure built by Raja Sidh Singh more than 500 years ago.
Naggar was also the chosen home of the famous Russian artist, scholar, oriental aesthete, archeologist, humanist and more- Nicholas Roerich. A towering figure, his legacy of the international ‘Roerich Pact’ to defend the art and culture of the world (now an international law) lives on. The Roerich museum, stands only a kilometer ahead of the Naggar Castle and houses art installations and other souvenirs and legacies of the Roerich family. The museum has a book and souvenir store from where you can pick prints of Roerich masterpieces.
The MTB tour begins from this historical site. We ride to the famed temple of Bijli Mahadev or the Lightning Lord Shiva. The temple has a 60ft tall staff visible even from Kullu as a glinting steel needle. It is said to attract divine blessing from lightening. The spiritual attraction of the temple is aggravated by the curious phenomenon that shatters the Shiva Linga placed in the temple when lightning strikes. The idol is rebuilt by the temple priest with butter and sattu, a special flour. This spiritual abode also offers spectacular view of the Kullu and Parvati valleys. We wind through beautiful Himachali countryside and visit a village called Kais via Mattikocher.
Historically rich and mystically ripe, the biking tour offers challenging uphill mud and rock trails that will test your mettle and skill. The descents offer ample relief and opportunity to absorb the surrounding beautiful landscape.
Make it happen! Give us a call
+91 – 82853 49989
Go Solo, Come back with friends for life!
Day 1: Manali to Naggar 22 km. Naggar to Jana 12 km uphill
We kick off the adventure on our bikes from the majestic town of Manali early in the morning. The ride from Manali to Naggar is through a beautiful forest area with plenty of ascends and descends on a good tarmac road. We sweat out as we cycle 12 km of mostly up-hill ride to reach one of the biggest towns in Kullu, Jana. At Jana we rest at the famed Jana falls. It is here we get to eat exquisite Kullu traditional cuisine. The ride and the town of Jana offers opportunities for photographers to shoot Himachali life and majestic landscapes.
Day2: Jana to Bijli Mahadev Temple (2460 m) 25 km off-road
The real Mountain Biking adventure begins today as we make through an all off-road trail from Jana. The 15 km uphill trail calls for all the training, expertise and mountain biking stamina as we ride over rocks and muddy track. After this climb, there is a 10km fun downhill trail to Bijli Mahadev. The exhilarating ride is surrounded by spectacular landscapes and vantage views of Kullu and Parvati valleys.
Day 3: Bijli Mahadev to Mattikocher 14km uphill. Mattikocher to Kais 24 km downhill
On the third day, we start on a lovely downhill trail along the river. Picture postcard villages against the backdrop of snow covered mountains, green terraces for farming and ancient pine forests are a stunning sight to behold. The same day we drive to Manali from Kais (35km) by car.
Go through the trip details and reach out to us with your queries about the trip. We would be happy to help you!
- All meals and snacks, freshly cooked and nutritious, apt for the biking tour including energy bars, juices for the tour duration. Meals included are vegetarian
- Night stay in tent accommodation which is a 4 season tent
- Camping equipment (Tents, sleeping bags, trekking mattresses, kitchen tent, cooking utensils and cooking equipment)
- Camping and cooking staff
- Escort vehicle for the duration of the trip – the vehicle will be big enough to carry cycles and riders. Your luggage will be transported on the escort vehicle. While cycling, you will only be required to carry your water bottles and camera
- Camping/ trekking permits
- All road transfers during the trip
- Transportation for the bikes during and after the ride (Manali to Manali)
- Bike mechanic for the trip
- GoMissing Chief Experience Officer to accompany the group – who is an expert cyclist
Price does not include
- Transportation to and from your city to Manali
- Any expenses of personal nature like shopping, phone calls, eatables, laundry, etc
- Any customizations/changes to the tour itinerary
- Meals & Accommodation apart from what is included
- Personal expenses and insurance
- Alcoholic drinks/ aerated beverages/ bottled water – (ALCOHOL IS STRICLTY PROHIBITED ON THE THIS TREK)
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances (landslides/ road blocks/ bad weather conditions etc)
- Services of a cycle mechanic are included, however, any spare parts used for the bike will be charged on actual
- Mountain bike hire – INR 800 per day per bike (Giant/ Scott/ Trek/ Merida and equivalent bikes
- Anything not mentioned in price includes