The Lahesh caves above Triund near Mcledoganj are natural caves which shepherds use during the summers. These caves serve at their camping grounds when they take their sheep for grazing to the high altitude meadows of the Dhauladhar mountains.
The trek through mixed forests of Oak, Rhododendron and Deodar and through alpine meadows is perfect for the nature lover.
This trek is ideal for first time trekkers and for families with children in the 10 to 18 age group.
At a glance
The trek route to Triund crosses a beautiful mixed forest of Oak, Rhododendron and Deodar. Triund is situated on a ridge and has spectacular views of the Kangra valley on one side and the Dhauladhar mountain range on the other.
On reaching Triund, we’ll stay in tents and enjoy a sumptuous dinner in the company of a million stars.
The snow line starts at Illaqa which is about 5Kms ahead of Triund at 3,350 meters. The Lahesh cave is a summer camping shelter for shephers who take their sheep into the high altitude meadows here.
The trek today will be challenging and will give you an opportunity to walk over a small glacier. The cave is situated at the edge of the glacier. The adventurous may hike up further for even more spectacular views.
After the hike, we will trek back to Triund.
Overnight camping at Triund
Take a slightly different route today on the ridge and reach the Bhagsu Nag temple. The route crosses a small waterfall on the way. From the Bhagsu Nag temple, we will get back to Mcleodganj which is about 1.5 km from here.
Overnight Volvo to Delhi.
INR 7,500/- per person
Be prepared for
- 3-5 hours of trekking each day (easy)
- Days are expected to be pleasant with bright sunshine, however, nights will be cold. There are chances of rain in this area, so be adequately prepared (Rain suit, poncho)
- Unexpected weather conditions and patterns. In case of any unexpected weather, we might need to turn back
- In case of landslides or unexpected circumstances, there may be a change in the itinerary and a consequent rise in costs (this will be on actual)
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver
- Easy grade trek, no prior experience required. That said, you need to have basic fitness levels to walk at the altitudes and for the duration mentioned