Scale Kedarkantha Peak & Get a dash of Cycling fun by Tons River!
This GoMissing fusion trip is loaded with Cycling and Trekking fun!
Kedarkantha is situated in mountains surrounding the Tons (pronounced Tones) river valley in Garhwal region of Himalayas. The trek will take you through Govind National Park and will show the amazing flora and fauna of this protected area.
Kedarkantha is a beautiful ridge peak at a height of 3850 meters. While scaling the peak is a rewarding experience, the journey, beautiful campsites and the spectacular views of mighty peaks like Swargarohini, Banderpooch, Kalanag and Ranglana make this trek absolutely unmissable.
The fun does not end at Kedarkantha peak! In the second part of the trip, you will get to discover the region on a mountain bike as you ride from Sankri to Mori, a trail that is beautiful and full of legends that you will discover only when you visit the place.
GoMissing has curated this fusion trip specifically for beginners and moderate adventure enthusiasts.
On the trip you will be accompanied by Chief Experience Officer, who will lead the tour. As always, on the trip, all requirements of an escort vehicle, porters, camping equipment, bikes and bike technicians will be taken care of.
At a Glance
- Duration: 4 nights/5 days
- Best Season: Throughout the year. Join GoMissing November 2015 batch
- Maximum elevation: 3850m Kedarkantha Peak meters
- Trail: 40 km downhill on well paved roads – village back roads, some non-technical off road trails
- Weather: Cold at nights, pleasant day temperatures (November).
We begin the drive early from Dehradun to reach beautiful Sankri village in the afternoon. After a wholesome lunch, we start our 4 km trek to campsite by Juda Talab, a lake. Legend has it that Lord Shiva opened bits of his matted hair and some water flowed from his mane to form this twin pond. The trail winds through Saud village and is a gentle climb through pine forests and maple trees.
After a night at Juda Talab campsite, today we trek 7 km to Kedarkantha Base Camp. The trail amidst thick pine and oak trees opens onto a sprawling meadow below the Kedarkantha summit. Gorgeous views of snow capped ranges can be enjoyed from here.
Today we will scale the Kedarkantha peak. We begin early for this 3 km ascent. The views from the summit are exquisite. We descend 15 km to Sankri the same day and stay overnight at a guest house.
Today is the day for some cycling! We will cycle 40 km to Mori after a small practice session. The stretch to Mori is a downhill journey on a mud road for first 10 km and later on leveled tar road for the rest of the ride. We will visit the ancient Hanol temple, dedicated to MahasuDevta and spend the night in camps at the most beautiful campsite by gurgling Tons river.
Today is the final day of the trip. We will start early and drop you off at Dehradun.
Please get in touch for the price.
Some Do’s and Don’ts of Mountain Biking
- This is a crazy adventure and you need to have good physical fitness to truly enjoy the ride
- Downhill rides sound easy, but you can easily attain speeds of 50+ kmph on a downhill ride. Be extra careful as there will be a steep valley/ river on one side and a solid mountain of rock on the other and there may be fast moving jeeps and/ or other vehicles just around a blind turn.
- Absolutely DO NOT wear headphones while riding, you won’t be able to hear any approaching vehicles while riding. The wind wooshing by, the river, the forest and the birds anyways sounds way better than anything on a music player
- Even 20 km long uphill rides can sap out your energy. Be prepared and you will have an absolutely incredible time. Carry energy bars/ dry fruit and share! And yes, we’ll carry a whole bunch of them, so every time you see the escort vehicle, stock up!
- Make sure you’re adequately hydrated. Force yourself to drink a lot of water even if you don’t feel thirsty
- Make sure you do not remove jackets immediately after rides. Your body temperature will fluctuate drastically and it may lead to fever, uneasiness and other random stuff which is totally avoidable
- Apart from the rides mentioned in the itinerary, there will be a number of opportunities to ride/ hike at all the places where we will be staying.
- After the trip, send us some love and share your pictures & videos!
P.S. If you think you’re not fit or have some hesitation in joining the trip, we assure you that you won’t be left alone struggling on your mountain bike. Your group leader and most members of the group will be around you and will motivate you to complete the difficult sections. Trust us, we run these rides every weekend!
Additionally, if you get really tired and don’t want to ride uphill on the tough sections, we’ll put you and your cycle on the escort vehicle and get you to the next destination. However, now it will be your turn to help other riders with motivation and nutrition!
Sounds like this is your kind of thing? Click on the button below and get in touch now!