The Kareri lake lies in the Dhauladhar mountains near Dharamshala/ Mcleodganj. It is situated at an altitude of about 3,300 meters and is fed by melting snow of the Dhauladhar peaks. It lies about 9 km North West of Dharamshala.
The trek route follows small streams and you will absolutely love taking a break every now and then next to these streams to dip your feet in the cold water. The experience is surreal to say the least.
As the lake is shallow and its water source is fresh melting snow, the river bed is usually visible. It just means that you can get those stunning mountain reflection pictures by the lake.
What’s more, during this trek, you will be camping by the lake for a night and you’ll get to see the lake changing colors as the day progresses.
At a glance
We’ll arrive in the morning and check into a hotel. After relaxing for a while we’ll head out to explore Mcleodganj and Dharamshala on foot.
There are numerous small cafes serving excellent food and to hang out.
Overnight – Mcleodganj
The first part of the trek across the pine forests and quaint mountain villages en route to Kareri village.
Altitude: 1,800 m
Distance: 13 km
Cross the mixed Oak, Rhododendron and Pine forests en route to the Kareri lake. The trek route is relatively flat for the first couple of kilometers after which there is a steep ascent along the Kareri rivulet. You will cross this rivulet multiple times over small wooden bridges to reach the Kareri lake.
Distance: 13 km
Overnight camping by the lake
You will trek back the same route and reach Kareri village.
We’ll get back to Mcleodganj, relax for a while and then take the overnight Volvo to Delhi.
Kindly get in touch with us for individual/ couple/ group pricing.
Be prepared for
- 3-5 hours of trekking each day (moderate)
- Days are expected to be pleasant with bright sunshine, however, nights will be cold. There are chances of rain in this area, so be adequately prepared (Rain suit, poncho)
- Unexpected weather conditions and patterns. In case of any unexpected weather, we might need to turn back
- In case of landslides or unexpected circumstances, there may be a change in the itinerary and a consequent rise in costs (this will be on actual)
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver
- Moderate grade trek, no prior experience required but you need to have good fitness levels to walk at the altitudes and for the durations mentioned