Baralacha La at 4,890m is a high mountain pass in Zanskar range connecting the Lahaul valley to Ladakh. The trek originates from Batal near Manali and goes to Chandrataal Lake, across the Baralacha Pass and ends at the Surajtaal Lake.
The Bhaga river originates from Surajtaal lake, which is situated a few of kilometers from the Baralacha pass towards Manali and meets the Chandra river which originates from Chandrataal and combine to form the Chandrabhaga river, also called as Chenab river in J&K. The trek takes us over the majestic Himalayas.
This trek is perfect during monsoons since there is no rain in that Valley.
At a glance
Arrive at Manali, freshen up and spend the day at leisure in Manali. Get introduced to the GoMissing team.
Overnight in hotel
You’ll be driven across the Rohtang Pass (3,978 m) to Batal, a small village in the remote Lahaul Valley. You’ll spend the night here to get acclimatized to the high altitudes and the dry & cold mountain desert.
Drive distance: 100 km
Overnight in camp
The first day of the trek, you’ll hike to the breathtakingly beautiful Chandrataal Lake (4,300m) with great views of surrounding mountains.
Overnight camp at the Chandrataal Lake
Today, starting early you’ll undertake a moderate trek to the Topka Gongma river (4,320 m). The trail provides beautiful views of mountain peaks and glacier. In Tibetan, Topka Gongma means ‘big river’.
Overnight Camp near Topko Gongma
Today’s trek involves river crossing and since the water level is low in the morning, you’ll be starting early. By afternoon, you’ll reach the next river Topko Yongma (4,640 m). From here you get nice views of the C.B. Range, Mulkilla Range and the Dhaka Glacier.
Overnight Camp near Topko Yongma
The day will primarily have you trekking up a high altitude pastures to the Baralacha La. The 8 km long pass is the source of three rivers – Chandra, Bhaga and Yuman. Baralacha La acts as a crossroad with the Gaddi shepherd routes to Zanskar, Ladakh, Spiti and Lahaul Valleys intersecting on the top of the pass. At 4,890 meters, this will be the highest point of the trek.
From the Baralacha top, you’ll go to Surajtaal.
Overnight Camp at Surajtaal, just below the Baralacha pass
The last day of trekking, you’ll start the trek from Surajtal and descend along the Bhaga River to reach Zingzingbar (4,270 m). From here, our vehicle will drive you to Manali.
INR /- per person
Be prepared for
- 5-6 hours of trekking each day
- Days are expected to be pleasant with bright sunshine, however, nights will be colder. There are chances of rain in this area, so be adequately prepared (Rain suit, poncho)
- Unexpected weather conditions and patterns. In case of any unexpected weather, we might need to turn back
- In case of landslides or unexpected circumstances, there may be a change in the itinerary and a consequent rise in costs (this will be on actual)
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver
- Tough grade trek. You’ll need to have good fitness levels to walk at the altitudes and for the durations mentioned