Dharamshala is a quiet and tranquil hill station in the Kangra Valley in Himachal Pradesh, nestled under the shadow of the mighty Dhauladhar range.
The city has a mix of British and Buddhist culture and the upper Dharamshala, a.k.a. McLeodganj, is a major Buddhist pilgrimage and houses many monasteries. Though a peaceful hill station, Dharamshala has no dearth of adventure opportunities as the Dhauladhars provide perfect avenues for trekking and hiking.
You’ll have ample opportunities to hike around explore the pristine environments, experience snow at the snowline and have delicious food at the mountain cafes.
At a glance
- Trip type: Easy, chilling out, some hiking, lots of exploring and good food
- Duration: 2 nights/ 3 days
- Difficulty/ Activity level: Easy
- Location: Dharamshala, Mcleodganj, Himachal Pradesh
- Terrain: Meadows and mixed forest of Cedar, Walnut, Chestnut and Maple
- Maximum elevation: 2,875 m at Triund
- Trip Highlights: Tibetan culture, a Tibetan cooking class, lots of hikes, meeting incredible people, delicious food and loads of fun
We arrive at Dharamshala in the morning. After freshening up and a filling breakfast, we’ll take a short hike to Bhagsu Falls, which are about 2 km from the main market. The waterfall is located near the Bhagsu Nath temple and is a sight to behold, engulfed with light fog and scenic mountains all around. We’ll have a picnic lunch here and then head back to Dharamshala.
Triund is a short and easy day trek from Dharamshala, about 9 km one way, with well-defined trails and provides breathtaking views of snow-covered peaks of Dhauladhar on one side and of Kangra Valley on the other. The ascent is about 1100 meters and goes through scenic Rhododendron and Oak forest.
We’ll start early in the morning, trek to Triund, click pictures & have packed lunch; then head back to Dharamshala.
Trip ends here.
Chill out and explore Dharamshala and McLeodganj and take the night Volvo back to Delhi.
INR 7,950/- per person
Be prepared for
- Short hike to Bhagsu falls/ other hikes.
- 6-7 hours of trekking to Triund and back (easy)
- Days are expected to be pleasant with bright sunshine, however, nights will be cold. There are chances of rain in this area, so be adequately prepared (Rain suit, poncho)
- Unexpected weather conditions and patterns. In case of any unexpected weather, we might need to turn back
- In case of landslides or unexpected circumstances, there may be a change in the itinerary and a consequent rise in costs (this will be on actual)
- You will be required to sign a liability waiver
- Easy grade trek, no prior experience required. That said, you need to have basic fitness levels to walk at the altitudes and for the durations mentioned